Serene Harbor is a unique outdoor classroom that provides an atmosphere to encourage our students to explore, dream, and learn.
There are so many distractions in today’s world, and national surveys say most children spend very little or no time observing or interacting in their natural environment and surroundings. Children learn best through their everyday experiences with the people they trust and when learning is fun. One of the best places for these experiences is outdoors, in the natural world.
Serene Harbor includes gardens, both for native vegetation and areas to grow vegetables and other plants. The seating area is suitable for instruction, as well as school-sponsored outdoor events.
All Pro Dad is a unique program that inspires fathers to be their best selves in the roles of dad and husband. Fathers who participate in All Pro Dad will attend a monthly instructional and interactive meeting with their child. The meeting provides a bonding opportunity for father and child and invaluably increases male presence on campus.
My boys both love it when I can attend, even if they get embarrassed when I am on the mic telling everyone what I am proud of them for.
– SHE dad
WATCH D.O.G.S. (Dads Of Great Students)
Watch D.O.G.S. is another great program that promotes male presence on campus. Volunteers (fathers and father figures) commit to spending at least one day of the school year at SHE. Watch D.O.G.S. may read and work on flash cards with students, play at recess, eat lunch with students, watch the school entrances and hallways, assist with traffic flow and any other assigned activities where they actively engage with not only their own students, but other students as well.
All the latest news about Watch D.O.G.S. at Serene Hills Elementary can be found on our Facebook Page.
Three steps to be the Watch DOG for a day:
1. Sign up for a day as the Watch DOG.
2. Order your Official Watch DOG shirt.
3. Show up on your day at 7:15am in your shirt and get your schedule for the day.
The goal of this program is to have all students reading by the end of 3rd grade. Volunteers will read with students for 30 minutes each week. Literacy Partners is an outreach program run by Education Connection, whose mission is guided by 3 principles:
- Humility – not bringing in our own agenda. We strive to be a support to the schools, classrooms, and children.
- Consistency – making a volunteer commitment for a school year of service. Truly using one’s servant heart to honor constant reading with children.
- Simplicity – “Elaborate Simplicity” – the idea being that Education Connection needs to be something that imposes little on the schools/teachers and simple enough that a willing volunteer without “teacher training” can do and will make a difference to the child.